Saturday, February 20, 2010

Celebrating the Winter Olympics with ETSY

It wasn't difficult for me to come up with a theme for this week's blog about etsy.  I mean, isn't everyone watching at least some of the Winter Olympic events.  So I typed in "winter olympics" as my search keyword and was once again amazed at the number of items I was able to pull up and the variety of things available - both HANDMADE and VINTAGE.  Again, it was hard for me to make my choices - but here they are:


I fell in love with this original oil painting by Janice Trane Jones.  I love the period feel of this painting.  I also love that it highlights one of the Olympic events that does not get a lot of coverage.  This shop is filled with wonderful original oils (more that 50) and watercolors.  The subject matter runs the gambit from country landscapes, sea scapes to flowers.  Go on over and browse through this shop and give yourself a real treat!


On the VINTAGE side of things on etsy, I found this great set of cuff links and tie bar being offered by ReADressedResale.  These are a great Vintage collectible from the 1972 Sapporo Winter Games.  Perfect for the collector or the sports lover.  They can be displayed or worn.  This shop has a very interesting collection of vintage items that range  from more cuff links, Fiesta Ware and clothing.  You will surely enjoy your visit!



Back on the HANDMADE front, I found this great tile pendant celebrating the SPEED SKATER.  This pendent has been upcycled from a scrabble tile by Indy&Cleo.  This is a most interesting shop.  They have all kinds of upcycled tiles that cover a wide range of subject matter.  More speed skaters, flowers and geomatrics to name a few.  They also have some darling Sock Monkey items and other original art.  Give them a browse!


My final selection in the VINTAGE category is this beautiful scarf listed by MADMENVINTAGE.  This is a beauty from the 1980 Lake Placid Winter Games.  Remember that US Hockey Team?  MadMen have an extremely interesting collection of vintage offerings.  Thye seem to specialize in quality vintage clothing, but they do throw in some fun surprises - like globes, bow ties and even a typewriter.  It is a fun step back in time to browse through this shop.  I think you will really enjoy the trip!

Well, that's it for this week.  If you have not visited etsy yet, please take a few minutes to check it out.  Look at the shops I have highlighted here.  Or, be adventurous and type in a keyword - any keyword - in the search box and see what you come up with.  I think you will be surprised and pleased!

1 comment:

Vintage Tracy said...

I went to look at that scarf, cuz I loved it, and it already sold!